Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Checksum warnings during backup?

2010-07-01 11:17:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Checksum warnings during backup?
From: Andreas Koch <koch AT esa.informatik.tu-darmstadt DOT de>
To: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 17:15:09 +0200
On 07/01/2010 02:37 PM, Martin Simmons wrote:
 > Does the FileSet have just one Include section and one Options section?  If
 > it is more complicated than that, please post it.

The complete FileSet is:

# List of files to be backed up
FileSet {
   Name = "FullSet"
   Include {
     Options {
       signature = SHA1;
       verify=pins1;
       accurate=pins1;
     }
         File = /boot
         File = /
         File = /home/stud
         File = /home/wimi
         File = /opt
         File = /fs/images
         File = /fs/vmware
         File = /fs/backups
   }

   Exclude {
     File = /var/lib/bacula
     File = /tmp
     File = /proc
     File = /tmp
     File = /.journal
     File = /.fsck
   }
}

> Can you repeat it with a FileSet containing only a few files (maybe try
> /usr/share/postgresql-8.4/man/man7)?

Done. The error occurs only during the differential run, on the same file as
before

/usr/share/postgresql-8.4/man/man7/table.7.bz2

That file is backed-up, though: (together with a dummy one I created to force
the differential):

*list files jobid=17
| filename                                         |
| /usr/share/postgresql-8.4/man/man7/              |
| /usr/share/postgresql-8.4/man/man7/table.7.bz2   |
| /usr/share/postgresql-8.4/man/man7/I_AM_FAKE_AHK |

I assume that Bacula is being conservative here: Unless it can prove (by
identical checksums) that a file has not changed, it will back-up the file?

> You could try runing the bacula-fd with debug level 100 and look for messages
> like
>
> add fname=<...>  lstat=... chksum=...
>
> in the debug output of the Differential job (it could be large).
>
> What is the add fname message for a file that gives the warning?

gundabad-fd: accurate.c:224-19 add
fname=</usr/share/postgresql-8.4/man/man7/table.7.bz2> lstat=PwA Dky9 IGk C A
A A 6 BAA I BMBmj+ BMBmj+ BMBmkF BU A C chksum=

Note that `chksum=´ is empty.

> What is the add fname message for a file that doesn't give the warning?

gundabad-fd: accurate.c:224-19 add
fname=</usr/share/postgresql-8.4/man/man7/alter_tablespace.7.bz2> lstat=PwA
Dkxm IGk B A A A Kz BAA I BMBmj8 BMBmj8 BMBmkF A A C
chksum=vJvtTQ9F2sguOypX9ThR7u5IJi8

Here, chksum has a value.

Also I did some more experimentation: The problem only occurs when I set
Accurate = yes (as I have normally done). If I change that to no, no warnings
are shown.

Please let me know if you need more info!

Assuming it is a bug, where can I file a bug report?

Best,
   Andreas