Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LTO-4 Drive issues

2010-05-23 08:58:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LTO-4 Drive issues
From: Steve Costaras <stevecs AT chaven DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 07:55:05 -0500

What is your blocking factor on the drive?   Assuming hardware is OK it sounds like you do not have your drive configured properly for variable block sizes.

issue:

mt-st -f /dev/st0 setblk 0
mt-st -f /dev/st0 defblksize 0
mt-st -f /dev/st0 defcompression 0
mt-st -f /dev/st0 compression 0

(or mt depending on what tape package you have on fedora).    The first two set your drive to variable block, the next two turn off compression (to get raw performance for a test).  run btape against your drive.

Alternatives would be to use tar with something like:

tar -cv -b1024 -f /dev/st0 <largefile>

where <largefile> is a multigb file preferably non fragmented.

Another thing to take a look at is your st driver settings, under some versions of linux this is in /etc/modprobe.d/mt-st   On my ubuntu box here I use:

options st buffer_kbs=2048 max_sg_segs=128

For bacula you want to modify your bacula-sd.conf for your tape device.    Main items would be:
  Maximum Block Size = 262144
  Maximum File Size = 5GB

  Maximum Network Buffer Size = 262144

And set your spool size as large as you can.

I found another site showing the use of byte size and dd and after playing with it a bit i can hold 115 MB/s easy and backup my 3.5 GB file like nothing. I'm looking through Bacula documents, I don't recall if this can be set or not in the config files.