Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bulk] Re: Windows registry restore possible?

2010-04-28 05:34:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bulk] Re: Windows registry restore possible?
From: Foo <bfoo33 AT yahoo.co DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:31:51 +0200
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 07:07:43 +0200, Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT
ch>
wrote:

> Am Tue, 27 Apr 2010 12:50:30 -0400 schrieb jdb:
>
>> Is it possible to restore just the registry without restoring the entire
>> backup?  I have the VSS enabled in the Bacula config, [..]
>
> VSS does provide a consistent snapshot. IMHO the "VSS Writer" loglines
> just mean that the Service xyz was informed about a snapshot that will
> happen so that Service xyz can get into a consitent state on disk.
>
> this does not mean that anything is written an tape/volume.

Right, for W2K3 use ntbackup (heard it was not in W2K8 anymore, anyone
know the replacement?) to back up the system state, which should include
registry files. For this I added in my job definitions:

ClientRunBeforeJob = "if [%l]==[Full] (ntbackup backup systemstate /F
c:\\systemstate.bkf)"
ClientRunAfterJob = "del c:\\systemstate.bkf"
ClientRunAfterJob = "del \"c:\\Documents and Settings\\Default User\\Local
Settings\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\Windows
NT\\NTBackup\\data\\backup*.log\""

This runs the commands on the server and does a compare, if backup level
is full then does an ntbackup (so not on 'incremental==full' etc.) and
deletes the temp files afterward (systemstate is overwritten but it takes
up space, logs keep piling up otherwise). You need to have a few hundred
MB free on C: for the systemstate.bkf file and the full backups take a few
minutes longer.