Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Backup to disk, then duplicate

2010-03-30 03:23:49
Subject: [Bacula-users] Backup to disk, then duplicate
From: Norberto Meijome <numardbsd AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 18:20:52 +1100
Hi there,
I wanted to run this pass more knowledgeable minds before trying on a test environment.

I need to write duplicate tapes for onsite and offsite storage. The data will not expire - they are basically archives.

I plan to the backup the data from the network source to a local disk, diskPool, which will expire after 2 weeks. From this disk copy, I'll write 2 tapes, one on offsitePool and one on onSitePool.

The copy on disk would act, in a way, as both a source for quick restores while the data is valid, as well as source of the to-tape jobs , reducing the network transfers.

the "2 jobs to tape" part, i was thinking of tackling it as 2 copy jobs of the original disk job. In this way, the relation between all the jobs is clear, and I should be able to restore from any of the 3 jobs.

Questions :
* Can one use RunBeforeJob scripts on Copy / Migrate jobs?

* How could I run the copy jobs right after the backup to disk job has finished ?
( the Run directive of the Job resource looks great, but it seems it starts the 'clone' job before the main job... i could imagine the main job being one of the tape jobs and then start the clone-to-disk before it, but it just gets too un-KISS. )

* Ideally, a RunAfterJob that starts the 2nd + 3rd jobs would be great...but they call external scripts, not internal bacula commands (Python interface is always an option...)

* Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way around, and a scheduled Copy job should deal with this situation? The important thing is that i need to be able to pass to an external script information about which "to-disk" job I just copied to tape. (hence my first question about RunBeforeJob for copy/migrate jobs)

Any and all input much appreciated!!

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"The only people that never change are the stupid and the dead"
 Jorge Luis Borges.

Warned.