Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Base jobs / File de-dupe with different paths?

2010-02-25 13:26:10
Subject: [Bacula-users] Base jobs / File de-dupe with different paths?
From: Steve Polyack <korvus AT comcast DOT net>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:23:19 -0500
I was wondering if it was possible to utilize base jobs to dedup files
while ignoring the paths in which they reside in.  The situation I'm
trying to use them in is such:

* I have a large subversion repository which has an up-to-date checkout
in /var/svn.  This gets backed up as the base job.
* Each user in /home/userXXX also has a full checkout under
/home/userXXX/svn, which may or may not be up-to-date and may or may not
have had changes made to the files within.

The idea is to utililze the base job to minimize the backup size of
/home.  I was hoping that it would compare each file found in
/home/userXXX/svn against the base job's /var/svn copy, and only backup
files which have been modified (I'm matching on BaseJob = s5, size and
MD5 only).

 From my initial testing, this doesn't seem to work.  Is this is a
current (intentional?) limitation of Base Jobs?  I realize my scenario
is quite different from the one presented in the documentation (backing
up full system images while dedup'ng redundant OS binary backups).

I can provide director config snippets if necessary.