Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] trying to recreate a retrospect (I know...) backup strategy

2010-02-19 16:11:25
Subject: [Bacula-users] trying to recreate a retrospect (I know...) backup strategy
From: shouldbe q931 <shouldbeq931 AT googlemail DOT com>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 21:09:01 +0000
Hi All,

The Retrospect backup had two sets of "incremental archive" tapes,
that ran for a year, set A in the 1st week, set B in the 2nd then set
A in the 3rd week etc. Independently to this, at weekends there were a
different set of tapes for doing full backups that rotated each week.

I'm struggling with how to recreate this in Bacula. My sticking points
are how to not "invalidate" the incremental sets with each other, and
how if a restore is needed from the incremental archive, it would only
search through the incremental archive, and not point to one of the
full backups,  would I be able to purge or prine each tape before it
was re-used for the full backup, or would I also have to "purge files
from job" of the previous job they were used for ?

I was thinking that I needed three catalogs, but as the catalog is per
client, that wouldn't work. Would having three differently named, but
identically configured file sets work ?

Or am I going to need to run three instances of the file daemon to get
three catalogs, and if so, I'd really appreciate somebody pointing me
in the direction of  how to do this.

Many thanks

Arne