Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Feature / Project request - support for file-system / volume / san dedup for file devices

2010-02-10 08:14:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Feature / Project request - support for file-system / volume / san dedup for file devices
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 12:32:58 +0100
On Wednesday 10 February 2010 12:08:57 Marc Schiffbauer wrote:
> * Kern Sibbald schrieb am 10.02.10 um 08:56 Uhr:
> > Hello,
>
> Hi Kern,
>
> very interesting to hear that more dedup features are in the queue! Great
> news!
>
> [...]
>
> > With all the above, I do not think that it is yet time to discuss
> > changing the Bacula Volume format (though a new (second) Volume format is
> > one of the options I am considering for item 3.
>
> I think to make that filesystem-based dedup actually work, "only" a new
> Volume format would do the job.

When I talked about filesystem deduplication, I meant deduplication based on
raw device block changes, which is generally done by some program rather than
the OS.  I was not referring to "automatic" deduplication that is implemented
in an OS filesystem.  I probably need to rethink my terminology to ensure
that this is clear in the future.

> With blocks aligned and metadata seperated from the bulk data.
> In that case bacula does not even have to care about dedup.

We are not planning to change Bacula's Volume format in the near future; it
would destabilize the project too much, and it is very well adapted to
keeping backup data.  However, since it is Open Source, you are free to
experiment.  We would be interested to hear what you come up with.

Best regards,

Kern