Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is it possible to configure bacula server to write backup data to another server

2010-02-09 04:52:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is it possible to configure bacula server to write backup data to another server
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 09:48:36 +0000
Hi,

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010, Khalid Pasha wrote:

> I am new to Bacula, I am planning to install Bacula server on VM machine
> and storage ( for keeping backup data ) on other server on which we have
> mapped LUNs from EMC SAN, my question is it possible to configure Bacula
> in this way, if yes please share procedure of it.

There are 4 components to consider (director [aka server], file daemon [aka
client], storage daemon and catalog [a SQL database]).  Each one can reside
on a different machine in a different place.  Backups transfer directly
between the file daemon and storage daemon, they don't go via the director.

http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/What_is_Bacula.html#SECTION00220000000000000000

You may have many storage daemons and there's no need for any of them to
run on the same server as the director.  Position them where you have
suitable storage available.

> My bacula server is RHEL and clients to backup will be windows machines.

That should be fine.  The bacula file daemon on Win32 works very well.
Be sure to match (or at least not exceed) the file-daemon version with the
director version though, eg. a bacula-fd v5 may not work with a bacula-dir
v3).

Gavin