Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problem changing tapes due to inconsistency between 'list media' and 'query catalog'?

2010-01-31 00:53:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problem changing tapes due to inconsistency between 'list media' and 'query catalog'?
From: Jesper Krogh <jesper AT krogh DOT cc>
To: Thomas Dhollander <thomas.dhollander AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 06:50:11 +0100
Thomas Dhollander wrote:
> Dear all
>
> In our current setup, Bacula does not seem to automatically load the
> correct tape in the drive for its backups. We did specify the correct
> autochanger options in the storage daemon conf file and made sure the
> device uses the autochanger.
>
> When we execute the 'list media' command in bconsole, we get the
> following output:

There is an "undocumented feature" (bug) in bacula, (i dont know it its
fixed in recent versions, I'm still at 2.something but bacula fails to
load the volume if you:

* start a job
* it requires a tape "not" in the changer
* you insert the tape and run update-slots
* run mount (to push the job back into operation).

This is (or was) a gauranteed failure mode where you could get it to say
it couldn't get the volume.. over and over.

Doing it in the other order:

* insert tapes
* update slots
* start job

Just works

Which is quite a PITA on restores since it mostly requires to start the
job twice .. once to find the list of wanted tapes and another one to
run when you subsequenctly have changed in the changer.

It could be similar to yours issue.

Jesper
--
Jesper