Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Trouble to recycle files

2010-01-26 10:24:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Trouble to recycle files
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:04:24 +0200
> Hi at all,
> I've just subscribed on this ML because I've passed last
> month trying to get working a central backup server with
> bacula 3.0.3 on Centos 5.3. Now I'm able to backup a
> single FD on a file structure composed by a Full weekly
> backup (on Thursday) and incremental one from Fryday to
> Wednesday . My problem is that, although I could recycle
> full volumes, because they are set with "Use Volume Once"
> option, I am not able to force Bacula to set Incremental
> volume recyclable after 6 days: the results is that my
> Incremental volumes grows and is never recycled.
>
> This is my configs:
> Job {
>  Name = "BackupTestServer"
>  Type = Backup
>  Level = Incremental
>  Client = test.localdomain-fd
>  FileSet = "Test Set"
>  Schedule = "DiskDaily"
>  Storage = DiskBck
>  Messages = Standard
>  Pool = IncrDaily
>  Priority = 10
>  Write Bootstrap =
> "/var/bacula/working/BckTestServerEtc.bsr"
> }
>
> Schedule {
>  Name = "DiskDaily"
>  Run = Level=Full Pool=FullWeek thu at 22:00
>  Run = Level=Incremental Pool=IncrDaily fri-wed at 22:00
> }
>
> FileSet {
>  Name = "Test Set"
>  Include {
>    Options {
>      signature = MD5
>      compression=GZIP9
>    }
>    File = /etc
>  }
> }
>
> Storage {
>  Name = DiskBck
>  Address = 192.168.1.1                # N.B. Use a fully
> qualified name here
>  SDPort = 9103
>  Password = "abcde"
>  Device = DiskBck
>  Media Type = File
> }
>
> Client {
>  Name = test.localdomain-fd
>  Address = 192.168.1.3
>  FDPort = 9102
>  Catalog = MyCatalog
>  Password = "12345"
>  File Retention = 30 days            # 30 days
>  Job Retention = 6 months            # six months
>  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired
> Jobs/Files
> }
>
> Pool {
>  Name = FullWeek
>  Pool Type = Backup
>  Recycle = yes
>  Use Volume Once = yes
>  AutoPrune = yes
>  Volume Retention = 2 days
> }
>
> Pool {
>  Name = IncrDaily
>  Pool Type = Backup
> [...]

At first, the volume retention of two days for full backups looks like a
very dangerous mistake. Maybe it should be 2 weeks? If this was for some
testing, it's ok. But remember to fix this before you expect the system
really works as it should...

Then, the actual problem is, that incremental backups all go to the same
volume day after day?

You need to limit somehow when Bacula stops using the volume, then it will
recycle the oldest one in the pool. So, consider adding one of these into
IncrDaily pool spesification:
- Use Volume Once = yes
- Maximum Volume Jobs = xx
- Volume Use Duration = xx hours
- Maximum Volume Bytes = xxGB

As a first guess, the last one above is not what you want. And maybe for
some reason you didn't want to use the first one (since you already knew
that option exists). The 2nd one is close to the 1st (actually, the 1st is a
special case of the more generic 2nd)

My best guess is that limiting the time how long Bacula may use a single
volume (3rd) is what fits best to your needs? If you set it to, say, 20
hours, then Bacula can write into that volume during the next 20 hours since
the first write. Thereafter, it will be marked used, and Bacula will recycle
the oldest volume available from that pool when it needs a new appendable
volume.

And remember, after changing the pool definition you'll need these steps to
apply the changes to existing pools/volumes:
- reload conf / restart the director
- use update command to update the existing pool in the catalog
- then, use update command to update the existing volumes from the pool

Hope this helps you...

--
TiN