Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Migration from 2.4.4 to 3.0.2 & question about Virtual & Copy jobs.

2010-01-23 05:14:27
Subject: [Bacula-users] Migration from 2.4.4 to 3.0.2 & question about Virtual & Copy jobs.
From: Romain Dolbeau <romain AT dolbeau DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 10:56:19 +0100
Hello all,

I'm currently using Bacula to backup a bunch of systems (servers and a
few laptops) and I'm very happy with it. So first thanks to the
developers and everyone involved :-)

I'm currently using Debian Lenny's Bacula 2.4.4-1, and I'm planning to
migrate to the backports version, 3.0.2-3. So the first question is :
any known gotcha in that version ? I think I might need to hand-update
the database, but that's not much of a problem with the developer's
official update script. I'm more interested in my own config files ; any
problem to expect there, or can I use the same configuration files
verbatim ?

After upgrading, I'm planning to 'update' my system. Right now I have a
set of jobs going to a big disk array, doing monthly (more often for
some critical stuff) Full, weekly Differential, and daily Incremental. I
also have a duplicate set of Jobs that do weekly Full on a LTO-4 loader
(tapes are easier for off-site storage :-). Unfortunately, the weekly
tape backups don't include the laptops, because they're not available
during the week-end :-/

So I'd like to replace the weekly tape jobs by Copy jobs. But I would
also like to consolidate the backups on the tape, so use the Virtual
Backup feature, i.e. consolidate the last Full from the disk, the last
differential from the disk, and all the incrementals since then, into a
single VirtualFull stored directly on the tape. I would also like the
restore (or future VFull) to essentially ignore the VFull as long as the
disk-based backups are available, because tape are usually removed from
the loader ASAP for off-site storage.

So is that possible directly in 3.0.x ? My understanding is that I
actually need 2 steps and 3 pools:

1) consolidate from Disk Pool 1 to Disk Pool 2
2) copy from Disk Pool 2 to Tape Pool 1

And that all 3 pools be connected to the same Storage daemon.
Unfortunately, I don't have Disk Pool 2 at the moment :-) Also, I'm
unsure whether 1) a Restore 2) another VFUll will actually ignore the
copied jobs on the tape, as the media won't be available for the next VFull.

Thanks in advance for any help,

--
Romain Dolbeau
<romain AT dolbeau DOT org>