Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Hypothetical question ...

2010-01-22 09:13:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Hypothetical question ...
From: Federico Alberto Sayd <fsayd AT uncu.edu DOT ar>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 11:11:11 -0300
Phil Stracchino escribió:
> I have the following scenario.
> I have a main storage server with a multi-terabyte disk array, but only
> SATA, no SCSI.  I also have a SCSI LTO-2 drive which, for environmental
> reasons, cannot live in the same location as the main storage server.
> In order to be able to copy or migrate jobs from the main storage array
> to tape, the array and the tape drive need to be controlled by the same FD.
>
> I have the ability to put the LTO-2 drive on a separate server located
> on the other side of the wall, connected to the main storage server with
> a dedicated point-to-point gigabit link.  It occurs to me that,
> theoretically speaking, I might be able to publish the LTO-2 drive as an
> iSCSI target over the gigabit link and drive it with the storage
> server's FD.
>
> Has anyone tried doing anything like this with Bacula?  If so, did it
> work?  How did you accomplish it?
>
> The target OS for the tape host is probably Solaris 10.

This isn't a bacula topic, is a iscsi topic. ISCSI rcf says that any
scsi device is contemplated (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3720) and
thus is possible to export as a iscsi device. SCST iscsi implementation
(http://scst.sourceforge.net/index.html) says that this is possible via
SCSI pass-through.

You can investigate others iscsi framework/target proyects:

http://scst.sourceforge.net/index.html
http://stgt.sourceforge.net/
http://iscsitarget.sourceforge.net/
http://linux-iscsi.org/