Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Different Retention Periods for same Client

2010-01-20 10:23:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Different Retention Periods for same Client
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:19:41 -0500
On 01/20/10 07:59, CoolAtt NNA wrote:
> Hi All...
>
> I want to backup a client with 2 different filesets each with different
> file retention period.
> please help me how do i proceed.
>
> I have the following in bacula-dir.conf :
>
> Client {
>   Name = mypc
>   Address = 10.0.0.45
>   FDPort = 9102
>   Catalog = MyCatalog
>   Password = "abc123"         # password for FileDaemon 2
>   File Retention = 30 days            # 30 days
>   Job Retention = 6 months            # six months
>   AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired Jobs/Files
> }
>
> As can be seen above  File Retention & Job Retention has been set in the
> client.
> So i want the above client to also have a different retention for a
> different File Set.

Well, there's basically nothing difficult about the dual filesets.
You'll just need to give the client two different Jobs.  You could set
up all the parameters for the client in a JobDefs record, then base two
jobs on that and change only the Fileset and Schedule and/or Priority.
(You probably will not want the two to run concurrently, so you'll want
to either run them at different times, or start one a minute or two
later at a slightly lower priority so that it doesn't run until the
first has completed.  Having two different backups running on the same
client at the same time will likely result in both high system load on
the client, and reduced overall throughput, as the client will probably
be I/O bound.)

Having different retention times for the two Filesets is going to be a
little more difficult.  As far as I know, retention time directives
cannot be placed in a Job resource.  If you want one fileset to have a
shorter retention time, I think what you will have to do is set the
longer retention time in the client, then set the Job that backs up the
Fileset for which you want the shorter retention time to be backed up to
a different Pool that has a shorter retention time.

I personally haven't tried restoring to a client that has multiple
Filesets defined.  I believe Bacula SHOULD Do The Right Thing and
present you with a superset of the applicable filesets, but you'll have
to try it to make sure.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.