Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula 3.0.3 maintain ctime on restored files?

2010-01-15 10:05:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula 3.0.3 maintain ctime on restored files?
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:02:40 -0500
> In the case here it's rather a large issue (granted due to other
> problems like hardware or software issues that require restores of data
> and is NOT something that I want to continue, however we are living in
> an imperfect world) but to give you an idea the dataset size is about
> 30-40TiB with restores anywhere from 2TiB to a full restore to back that
> back up again not only takes a LOT of tapes which is costly it also
> takes a LOT of time (day/weeks) where nothing else can be run.
>
> What I have been doing which is just painful is do a full restore, then
> have to do a full backup right after then continue so a restore is
> actually the time of about 2x of a full.  (for a full set this is about
> 9-10 days on LTO4).   This has happened about 3 times so far in the past
> 2 months.

Have you considered breaking up such a big dataset into pieces that only
take up perhaps 5 tapes or less each?  I know it can be a pain to manage,
but it seems like that would go a long way toward.  The other benefit is
that if a tape breaks during the restore (or is just discovered to be
unreadable) you can still get 100% of the other datasets restored.  IMHO,
any time you realize you can't back up your fileset in one day or even one
weekend that's a good opportunity to take a step back and re-think things.
  Perhaps you might even need to take the step of scheduling the fulls so
they don't occur on the same schedule.

I realize you that your periodic audits of your filesets to make sure
you're not missing something become a lot more complicated, but a painful
audit once per quarter seems like a lot better than what you've described
above.