Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fatal error: Network error with FD during Backup: ERR=Connection timed out

2010-01-13 14:31:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fatal error: Network error with FD during Backup: ERR=Connection timed out
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: Carlo Filippetto <carlo.filippetto AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:28:41 -0500
Carlo Filippetto wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a problem when backup windows 2008 64 bit, with Exchange 2007
> (bacula 3.0.3 on Centos 5.3)
>
> On google I found and insert
>       Heartbeat Interval = 1 minutes
>
> on both client and server, but only one time the full backup goes
> well, after all the other faild with the erro in the title
>
> What can I do?

I have had this problem before. It has always been related to the NIC or
NIC driver in the client machine. Years ago this happened with the NIC
built into the NFS4 Nvidia chipset and was fixed by a driver update from
Nvidia. In a Lenovo laptop I believe power saving modes in the Windows
NIC driver may have caused this. If the client doesn't transmit for a
while because it is busy with compression or building a VSS snapshot
then the driver may turn off the power to the NIC transmitter. That is
just a guess, but a USB external NIC worked perfectly in the same
machine. Start with disabling any power saving features of the NIC in
the Windows machine. Try another NIC if possible. See if there is an
updated NIC driver available.