Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] static bacula-fd for FreeBSD disaster recovery

2010-01-13 09:05:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] static bacula-fd for FreeBSD disaster recovery
From: G VM <drums_gvm AT hotmail DOT com>
To: <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 15:01:28 +0100
Martin Simmons wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to build a static binary of bacula-fd.
>>
>> I found this thread:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net/msg33494.html
>> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=3838017D92B3C445BA200CE3B6A821A40A7482%40cetus.dawnsign.com
>>
>> I followed the instructions found there.
>> I tried the way with putting the configure arguments in /etc/make.conf
>> and with putting --enable-static-fd to the .configure line.
>> Also with make static-bacula-fd
>> I am using a fresh install of FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE
>>
>> I see that configure is using this option.
>>
>> If I look in src/filed, I find a static-bacula-fd.
>> However when I look at the linked libraries I see the same list as
>> bacula-fd.
>> Not 2 or 3 linked libraries.
>> The version in ports is 3.x.x.
>>
>> Does anyone has the same experience?
>>

> You need to configure with --disable-libtool to build static with 3.x.x.
>
> __Martin

I have put this in /etc/make.conf:.
if $(.CURDIR:M*/sysutils/bacula-client) || \
$(.CURDIR:M*/sysutils/bacula-client)
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--disable-libtool
.endif

When doing:
make config
I selected SFDAEMON.
After compilation I got a static-bacula-fd of about 2MB.
when I do:
ldd static-bacula-fd
ldd: static-bacula-fd: not a dynamic ELF executable
I expected to see a few libraries.
Are there absolutely no libraries needed now?
Or is something wrong here?

Thanks for pointing that out Martin. It is not in the wiki. I will
update it.