Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Automated Restores to Alternative Client

2010-01-07 11:08:47
Subject: [Bacula-users] Automated Restores to Alternative Client
From: <ext-daniel.hawker AT nokia DOT com>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 17:04:27 +0100
All,

Have a relatively simple environment where we have one DIR/SD box (backs up to
disk) and a series of Clients/FD's (all Linux v3.0.2). Works really well.

Due to requirements, we are encrypting *everything*, so the data is stored
encrypted and the comms use TLS. Again works faultlessly.

Another requirement is some basic automated restore testing. Its pretty simple
stuff, so have configured an additional client that I'm using as the automated
restore testing (ART) client.

In essence, backups happen as usual. At specific times (weekly atm, but that
may change) a script on the ART server prepares itself and instigates a series
of Restore jobs on the Director (atm a simple script on the Director that gets
activated by SSH but will probably add a bconsole to the ART box to make this
easier).
This runs and restores the data to a dump dir on the ART box which then does
other stuff with it to ensure integrity (squirts it into databases, checks for
known files, etc).

Again, all OK, however due to encryption, any restores of encrypted data fails
as the FD requires the private key of the original client to decrypt. I can add
this, however each client has a unique keypair. Is there a way to specify
multiple private keys (maybe cat them together in a PEM file) or can I specify
the original Master keypair to allow this client to restore *any* clients
backups???

TIA

Dan

--