Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] No constraints in bacula database

2010-01-07 04:54:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] No constraints in bacula database
From: Jari Fredriksson <jarif AT iki DOT fi>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:58:11 +0200
On 6.1.2010 12:37, Marek Simon wrote:
> Hi,
> I do some experiments with bacula database and I found that there is no
> foreign key constraint between jobmedia and job, jobmedia and media, job
> and file and many similar logicaly connected tables. Why? Constraints
> prevent arising void references (File with empty job, File with empty
> filename, jobmedia record with empty job or media)
> I have bacula-dir version 2.4.4, postgres variant, and postgres 8.3,
> default instalation.

I have not tried to create them manually, but adding those might break
Bacula during a backup, as the dbcheck indeed finds occasionally
orphaned records from the database.

Also constraints do not work in MySQL MyIsam tables and propablt in
SQLite, which were the original databases Bacula supported.

May be historical reasons..

Also one can say that constrains may slow somewhat the functionality.
That may be important on large setups. There is always dbcheck to fix
the database afterwards.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

You're growing out of some of your problems, but there are others that
you're growing into.