Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Help with retention period

2010-01-05 12:45:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Help with retention period
From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 09:43:15 -0800 (PST)
--- On Tue, 1/5/10, Timo Neuvonen <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net> wrote:

> From: Timo Neuvonen <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
> Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Help with retention period
> To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
> Date: Tuesday, January 5, 2010, 1:03 AM
> "Hemant Shah" <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
> kirjoitti viestissä
> news:897496.89613.qm AT web51606.mail.re2.yahoo DOT com...
> >
> > Folks,
> >
> > I have been running bacula (2.4.3) for couple of
> years. I thought that I
> > had setup the retention period properly but today I
> found out that I did
> > not do it correctly. Every first friday of the month I
> do full backup to
> > tape, then I do full backup to disk. Rest of the days
> I do incremental
> > backup to disk. I want to keep the tape backup info
> for two years, and the
> > disk backup info for four months.
> >
> > I set the "volume retention" option in the Pool
> definition and it keeps
> > the volume definition in the database for more then
> 180 days, but all the
> > job information (name of the files backed up, etc.) is
> purged from the
> > database after 180 days.
> >
> > What other retention options do I need to set so that
> the job information
> > is also kept in the database for the specified
> period?
> >

> Sounds like you had file retention, or job retention, set
> to 180 days?
> Btw, they are client-spesific, while volume retention is
> volume spesific, so
> they are spesified in a different place in the conf file.
>
> Also note, that
> - volume retention is the minimum time the volume info will
> be kept, it
> stays in the catalog until the volume is recycled, which
> may take much
> longer (depends on your site)
> - any changes to volume retention in the conf file affect
> primarily to the
> new volumes created thereafter. To apply to older volumes,
> use update pool
> and update volume commands in bconsole.
>
> --
> TiN

> Community
> Take advantage of Verizon's best-in-class app development
> support
> A streamlined, 14 day to market process makes app
> distribution fast and easy
> Join now and get one step closer to millions of Verizon
> customers
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-dev2dev

Can I do the following:

Set Job and File retention to 2 years in Client Option, and then in Pool option
set the Volume retention for tape pool to 2 years and disk pool to 4 months.

When I prune/purge a Volume will bacula remove the associated file and job
records from the database?

Example:

 If I prune/purge a disk volume will bacula delete all file and job records
associated with that disk volume and keep the file and job records for the tape
volume in the database.

I have separate disk volume for each client backups (i.e. every backup of a
client is on a separate file) and only one tape volume for all clients.

Thanks.

Hemant Shah
E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com