Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Copy Job to Tape problem

2009-12-18 09:54:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Copy Job to Tape problem
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Damian Lubosch <dl AT xiqit DOT de>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:50:41 -0500
> Hereby I apolologize, because I posted this e-mail to bacula-users 2 days
> ago but did not receive any answer yet, probablt here it is a more
> appropriate place to ask.

I did not answer when you originally posted because I am confused at
what the problem is.

> Currently, in the evenings my backup system backups first to disk and
> then in the mornings I scheduled a copy job to copy the jobs to tape (LTO2).
> It worked fine so far, but now I have a new machine and have to do a
> full backup with the size of ~330GB. (The other machines are <200GB)
>
> Bacula can copy the files of the big full backup over multiple tapes
> successfully but afterwards, it tries again to copy the same job to the
> tapedrive again (and again...)
> Could this be because the maximum tape space is (uncompressed) 200GB
> (and in reality with compression just about 250GB) and the Copy-Job
> needs to backup >300GB?

Yes a 200GB LTO2 tape does not necessarily fit the 400GB that the
manufacturers specify. Sometimes you get 210GB, sometimes you get 1TB.
It all depends on your data. I usually get about 300GB on a LTO2 tape
unless I am backing up lots of text files.

John