Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Volumes getting reused before meeting retention

2009-12-16 04:11:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Volumes getting reused before meeting retention
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:06:54 +0200
At first, you need to run "update pool from resource" (like you've already done)
Then, from "volume parameters" choose "update all volumes from pool" (or "all volumes from all pools", if you prefer so / have edited several pools)

I have tried the steps on test bed and found that it only applies to Pool resource. The Volume retention was same as previous.

Update choice:
     1: Volume parameters
     2: Pool from resource
     3: Slots from autochanger
     4: Long term statistics
Choose catalog item to update (1-4): 2
The defined Pool resources are:
     2: Pool_8
Select Pool resource (1-2): 2

Cross verified and it showed the changes:
*llist Pool
          PoolId: 2
            Name: Pool_8
         NumVols: 1
         MaxVols: 18
         UseOnce: 0
      UseCatalog: 1
 AcceptAnyVolume: 0
    VolRetention: 1,036,800   <<<<it has been changed from 10days to 12 days
  VolUseDuration: 0
      MaxVolJobs: 0
     MaxVolBytes: 32,212,254,720
       AutoPrune: 1
         Recycle: 1
        PoolType: Backup
     LabelFormat: Vol
         Enabled: 1
   ScratchPoolId: 0
   RecyclePoolId: 0
       LabelType: 0

After that i have checked the volume status

Choose a query (1-21): 6
Enter Volume name: VT001
+------+---------------+------------------+-----------+---------+--------------+----------------+------------+-------------+
| Slot | MaxVolBytes   | VolCapacityBytes | VolStatus | Recycle | VolRetention | VolUseDuration | MaxVolJobs | MaxVolFiles |
+------+---------------+------------------+-----------+---------+--------------+----------------+------------+-------------+
|    0 | 1,024,000,000 |                0 | Append    |       1 |      864,000 |              0 |          0 |           0 |
+------+---------------+------------------+-----------+---------+--------------+----------------+------------+-------------+

Then i rerun the update
-----------------------------------
update
Update choice:
     1: Volume parameters
     2: Pool from resource
     3: Slots from autochanger
     4: Long term statistics
Choose catalog item to update (1-4): 1

Parameters to modify:
     1: Volume Status
     2: Volume Retention Period
     3: Volume Use Duration
     4: Maximum Volume Jobs

Select parameter to modify (1-17): 2
Defined Pools:
     2: Pool_8

Select the Pool (1-2): 2
Enter *MediaId or Volume name: VT001
Updating Volume "VT001"
Current retention period is: 10 days      <<<< Still its showing the old value
Enter Volume Retention period: 12 days
New retention period is: 12 days

*llist Volume
Pool: Default
No results to list.
Pool: Pool_8
          MediaId: 1
       VolumeName: VT001
             Slot: 0
           PoolId: 2
        MediaType: File
     FirstWritten: 2009-11-25 00:09:35
      LastWritten: 2009-12-03 23:10:02
        LabelDate: 2009-11-25 00:09:35
          VolJobs: 14
         VolFiles: 0
        VolBlocks: 13,389
        VolMounts: 14
         VolBytes: 863,310,025
        VolErrors: 0
        VolWrites: 13,390
 VolCapacityBytes: 0
        VolStatus: Append
          Enabled: 1
          Recycle: 1
     VolRetention: 1,036,800    <<<<< Now it has changed.

So is there any other way where it can apply setting to all Volumes rather going to individuals.

Regards,

Vishal Veerkar

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 7:24 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
2009/12/15 vishal veerkar <vishalveerkar AT gmail DOT com>:
> Hi Timo.
>

> Thanks for  quick response.
>
> Yes, the problem occurred because initial retention was changed and these
> volumes were present from start and hence using the same old config. After
> goggling i came to know that whenever retention is configured, the first
> volume created is used as prototype for the next volumes and hence inherits
> the same characteristics.
>
> For resolving the problem i have gone to bat and manually edited all the
> problematic volumes and set the retention to new configuration policy and i
> think this will resolve my problem.

If anyone else has this problem. There is a much easier solution.

Open a bacula console window

update

then select "Pool from resource"

and follow the menus.