Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Slow backup rate

2009-12-09 06:07:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Slow backup rate
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 13:03:17 +0200
Hi Carlo,

for any modern hardware your rates sound low.

Below is an example I get in my home system (Core2 Duo, 8GB memory, CentOS
5.4 Linux 64-bit), writing to external USB disk, with no compression.
Backing up a local disk, catalog database on the same physical disk too (not
an ideal combination).

  FD Files Written:       194,837
  SD Files Written:       194,837
  FD Bytes Written:       164,511,043,989 (164.5 GB)
  SD Bytes Written:       164,537,630,363 (164.5 GB)
  Rate:                   24175.0 KB/s
  Software Compression:   None

AFAIK, the GZIP9 you are using is the heaviest compression, both in terms of
expected ratio, and required cpu load. I think the Bacula documentation
mentions that levels over 6 usually result in no significant improvent in
ratio, but consume more cpu power.

Incremental will be slower than full anyway. But since it's this much slower
even in this speed class, makes me think the reason might be something else
than compression. But since it shows very different compression ratio, it
may also be because of compression / different type of the contents of the
files included in the job in average.

At first, try lowering the compression level, or totally disable it, to get
a reference that helps you restrict the possible reasons to the low
throughtput.

A guess without knowing your system: if you have a Windows client with
antivirus sw that handles every disk access, it could have a heavy impact on
this too.

--
TiN

"Carlo Filippetto" <carlo.filippetto AT gmail DOT com> kirjoitti viestissä
news:8791c1920912090138l3afdd208t8ec71c4678b1f6ec AT mail.gmail DOT com...
Hi,
I would like to know if is true that I have so slow troughput as this:

CATALOG
-------
  FD Bytes Written:       478,808,703 (478.8 MB)
  SD Bytes Written:       478,809,069 (478.8 MB)
  Rate:                   402.0 KB/s
  Software Compression:   None

INCREMENTAL
------
  SD Bytes Written:       40,582,899 (40.58 MB)
  Rate:                   129.7 KB/s
  Software Compression:   86.2 %

  SD Bytes Written:       32,037,212 (32.03 MB)
  Rate:                   179.9 KB/s
  Software Compression:   89.7 %

FULL
-----
  Elapsed time:           1 day 22 hours 13 mins 37 secs
  FD Files Written:       237,200
  SD Files Written:       237,200
  FD Bytes Written:       61,851,118,685 (61.85 GB)
  SD Bytes Written:       61,883,017,775 (61.88 GB)
  Rate:                   371.7 KB/s
  Software Compression:   15.5 %

All my jobs have the maximum compression

    Options {
        compression = GZIP9 #aggiungo compressione massima

P.S. is this the maximum compression??

My backups are made on Hard Disk. I tried to use an USB, as an iscsi, as a
e-sata device but the rate is so slow..
My best throughput is less then 2Mb/s

It's all right, or there something wrong?

Thak's

Carlo (Italy)

Return on Information:
Google Enterprise Search pays you back