Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] estimating time remaining on a backup

2009-12-03 08:49:22
Subject: [Bacula-users] estimating time remaining on a backup
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 13:46:02 +0000
Hi,

I started a full backup last night of a tired old Windows-based Dell NAS.
It's very slow.  The filesystem is full and super-fragmented.  I also have
compression turned on which makes the cpu work rather hard and slows things
down even further.  1.5MB/sec :-(

Anyhoo, this leads me to try and guess how long it will take.  I ran an
estimate before I started, though I can't recall exactly what the figures
were.  I don't really want to run one again now as that will slow things
down even more.  Anyway, I'd then have to guess the file compression to
work out what the total amount to transfer is (as opposed to the total
amount of uncompressed data).

I realise a progress bar is a bit much to ask, but do people know of
sensible ways to estimate the time a backup has remaining?

Gavin

--
Gavin McCullagh
Senior System Administrator

This E-mail is from Griffith College Dublin.
The E-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be
privileged and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
to whom they are addressed. If you are not the addressee you are prohibited
from disclosing its content, copying it or distributing it otherwise than to
the addressee. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the e-mail from your
computer.

Bellerophon Ltd, trades as Griffith College (registered in Ireland No.
60469) with its registered address as Griffith College Campus, South
Circular Road, Dublin 8, Ireland.