Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula: Error: Read error on file ...bkf

2009-12-02 07:45:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula: Error: Read error on file ...bkf
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 13:41:04 +0100
Hello,

02.12.2009 12:23, J. Dietrich Boock wrote:
> Greetings to the list,

Greetings back!

> we are using bacula 3.0.2 on a W2K3 SBS (32bit). A backup of the
> Exchange is first done by ntbackup into a BKF-File. Then this file is
> backed up with bacula to a tape. Bacula uses vss for backing up. Now
> from time to time we get this error:

It might be worth trying the exchange plugin.

> 30-Nov 01:00 name-pdc-dir JobId 22: Start Backup JobId 22,
> Job=ArbeitsdatenExtern.2009-11-30_01.00.00_28
> 30-Nov 01:00 name-pdc-dir JobId 22: Using Device "nameLTO4"
> 30-Nov 01:00 name-pdc-sd JobId 22: 3307 Issuing autochanger "unload slot
> 3, drive 0" command.
> 30-Nov 01:01 name-pdc-sd JobId 22: 3304 Issuing autochanger "load slot
> 2, drive 0" command.
> 30-Nov 01:01 name-pdc-sd JobId 22: 3305 Autochanger "load slot 2, drive
> 0", status is OK.
> 30-Nov 01:02 name-pdc-sd JobId 22: Wrote label to prelabeled Volume
> "ADTE01L4" on device "nameLTO4" (Tape0)
> 30-Nov 01:02 name-pdc-fd JobId 22: Generate VSS snapshots. Driver="VSS
> Win 2003", Drive(s)="E"
> 30-Nov 01:44 name-pdc-fd JobId 22: Error: Read error on file
> E:/Programme/Exchsrvr/exchangebackup/taegliches_exchange_backup.bkf.
> ERR=Nicht genügend Systemressourcen, um den angeforderten Dienst
> auszuführen.
>
> I searched, and found, that the bkf-file was however fully stored onto
> the tape. After a restore of this file from the tape, I saw, that the
> size of restored and original bkf-file was exactly the same. I used
> md5sum.exe from cygwin to determine the hashes. The hash was different
> between this files. I assume also, that the content is now different...
> I got the idea, that something in the unpredictable Windows trys to
> write into the bkf-file during backup with bacule (but no ntbackupjob,
> no tasks etc.), Windows trys to make a shadow-copy of the file, and this
> causes the error. May be because the bkf-File is around 70GB?

Have a look into Windows' logs... I suspect that the VSS service can't
work properly, probably because of not enough disk space being
available. There are some limits there (which I don't know without
looking into Mirosofts documentation), but with a 70GB file under VSS
control, that might be quite possible.

If you're doing the Exchange backup with ntbackup anyway, you could
just disable VSS for the job (provided you don't need it for other
data to be backed up, in which case two separate jos would be reasonable).

Cheers,

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann