Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Win64 fd: Does not read conf file

2009-10-13 10:51:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Win64 fd: Does not read conf file
From: Sean M Clark <smclark AT tamu DOT edu>
To: "'bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net'" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:47:51 -0500
George Shaw wrote:
> As far as I can determine, the Win64 bacula-fd service does not actually
> read the provided conf file. It complains about being unable to read a
> “monitor_name@” file on line 35. This is indeed how the default conf
> file comes after setup (as listed in bacula-fd.conf.in in the source
> tree). But then I commented out all those lines defining a local
> director for the tray, as there is none in Win64. And still the error
> persists when trying this in –t mode from cmd. Just for fun, I rebooted
> the server to no avail. There is no other .conf file on the entire server.
>
> So the app appears to be using some internal default, and not actually
> reading the file.
>
> To prove this assertion, I added the line “bonk” at the top of the conf
> file. No change in the error output.
>
> A win32 fd-only setup works fine.
>
> Maybe I’m missing something obvious.

I may have missed someone replying to this, but for some reason this
message just appeared in my inbox today.

We just dealt with this problem here, which was incredibly annoying.
We had just "upgraded" a bunch of older 32-bit XP machines to new
Vista64 systems and were trying to get the 64-bit bacula-fd running on
them.  Bacula-fd refused to start, giving only a typically useless
Microsoft Windows "Like, Dude, something went wrong" error ("Error 1067:
The process terminated unexpectedly").  No log files that I could find
to indicate WHY "the process terminated unexpectedly".

Skipping ahead past all the pointless chasing of possible Windows
problems ("corrupt" drivers?  Permissions problems?  Need to manually
wipe "bacula" entries from the registry and uninstall/reinstall?)that we
thought MIGHT be causing the problem it turned out to be what you just
ran into:

The monitor function has apparently not been ported to 64-bit Windows
yet.  Not a big deal...BUT THE INSTALLER CREATES AN INVALID ENTRY FOR IT
IN BACULA-FD.CONF.  Turns out THIS is what was causing bacula-fd.exe to
"terminate unexpectedly".

Just delete the entire section containing the bogus authentication
information for the monitor process and try again - bacula-fd should
start and run just fine (though the taskbar-based status widget won't
work, backups happen fine and status can be checked from the bacula
director console as normal.)

Just figured I'd reply so next time somebody Googles for "bacula-fd
vista 64-bit error 1067" there'll be something relevant to find...

SUMMARY:
Bacula 3.0.2 installer for Windows 64-bit has a bug:  it creates an
invalid section in the config file that it generates during the install.

Bacula-fd.exe 3.0.2 for Windows 64-bit has a missing feature: generation
of an error message that explains failures should occur (a popup saying
"invalid entry in config file near '@monitor_name@'" or something of the
sort would have saved us a lot of time...)

Once the configuration file problem is corrected, bacula-fd.exe 3.0.2
for Windows 64-bit appears to work perfectly so far.