Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] "ClientRunBeforeJob" - spaces in pathnames on Windows. ARGH...Help?

2009-10-09 15:39:05
Subject: [Bacula-users] "ClientRunBeforeJob" - spaces in pathnames on Windows. ARGH...Help?
From: Sean M Clark <smclark AT tamu DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 14:36:14 -0500
We've got several machines where Symantec Antivirus appears to butt in
and bog down file tranfers severely as it apparently scans every single
file before it's transferred (or at least this is what I believe is
happening).

Previously, we found that we could temporarily halt Symantec at the
start of a backup job with an appropriate call to smc.exe via
"ClientRunBeforeJob" and then re-enable it similarly once the backup was
done.

The problem is, I could never manage to get "ClientRunBeforeJob" to
correctly pass the full pathname with spaces in it, despite trying every
combination of single-quotes, double-quotes, escaped spaces (i.e.
"C:\\Program\ Files\\" or for that matter "C:/Program\ Files") that I
could think of.  I was able to get it to work using the old-school
mangled DOS filenames ("C:\Progra~1\Symant~1\Smc.exe").  However, these
clients appear to have been moved to new "Vista 64" boxes, and bacula-fd
is complaining that these paths don't exist anymore.

Rather than muddling around with guessing the mangling of THIS set of
directories (or watching backups run at ~200kB/s for days...), can
anyone give me some hints about how to properly pass pathnames with
spaces to the Windows bacula-fd in ClientRun(Before|After)Job directives?

(There also seems to be an unrelated problem with the 3.0.2 64-bit
Windows client installer, but I think I've just about got that one
figured out.  I'll report that separately when I'm more confident I know
what's going on.)