Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] mtx: Unknown Storage Element Loaded

2009-08-14 15:00:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] mtx: Unknown Storage Element Loaded
From: "Dan Langille" <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: "Arno Lehmann" <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 14:55:52 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, August 14, 2009 2:04 pm, Arno Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 14.08.2009 19:26, Dan Langille wrote:
>> On Fri, August 14, 2009 12:23 pm, John Drescher wrote:

>> Status now shows:
>>
>> [dlangille@backup01 bacula]$ sudo /sbin/mtx -f /dev/sg4 status
>>   Storage Changer /dev/sg4:1 Drives, 38 Slots ( 36 Import/Export )
>> Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Unknown Storage Element Loaded):VolumeTag
>> =
>> AAM241L4
>>       Storage Element 1:Full :VolumeTag=AAM274L4
>>       Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=AAM275L4
>>       Storage Element 3 IMPORT/EXPORT:Full :VolumeTag=AAM242L4
>>       Storage Element 4 IMPORT/EXPORT:Full :VolumeTag=AAM265L4
>>       Storage Element 5 IMPORT/EXPORT:Empty
>>

>> With the dreaded Unknown.
>
> So it's right where you started? :-)

Oh sorry, I didn't see your post until John tole me you'd said something.

Yes, back to square one.

> I guess you'll have to track the slot numbers yourself, as the library
> simply doesn't do that for I/O-slots. (Which slots or magazines are
> used for im/export can probably be configured, but I assume that you
> want them as import/export slots so your operators can easily swap tapes.)

We looked at configuration settings to get more non-IO slots but failed to
see how we could do that.

'Quantum Scalar 50' mean anything to you?

The unit consists of two magazines, each of which olds 18 tapes, in three
columns of 6.  Hence, each of these is an IO slot, I'm guessing.

> Actually, all the information you need is already in the catalog,
> you've just got to modify mtx-changer to look the slot numbers up in
> the catalog, and when doing the listing, you need to ensure the
> I/O-slots are considered.
>
> I'm planning something similar for a customer who probably needs to
> use all the slots they have soon, but they are not there yet...

Yes, I think that would be straight forward to alter.  Just invoke another
script to get the loaded value. I'll do that if it turns out I need it.
I'm running the btape two-tape test now.  On Monday, we'll do some real
backups and see if they run fine.  mtx-changer customizations will come as
required.

thanks you

--
Dan Langille -- http://langille.org/