Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Loosing my hope with HW Compression and bacula! [HELP!]

2009-07-16 09:59:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Loosing my hope with HW Compression and bacula! [HELP!]
From: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
To: Eduardo Sieber <sieber AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 15:53:27 +0200
Eduardo Sieber scripsit:
> I have 2
> tape drives attached on this server (A DLT 40/80Gb and a sony SDX470V
> 40/102 GB).
>
> I've ran btape on both tapes and everything is fine on the test.
>
> So, I have a job, and the estimate command for this job says:
> 000 OK estimate files=94902 bytes=58,095,727,131
>
> Something about 56Gb, that fits on my AIT tape right?

Wrong. You can only count on the uncompressed capacity of 40 GB.
Whether you get more depends on the compressibility of your data.
So as soon as you have more than 40 GB you must be prepared for
the possibility that it won't fit.

> Processing file:
> /samba/Publica/FUUUTBOOOL/FUTEBOL_SDAB/Sdab2_x_PM1/parte_18.MPG
> SDReadSeqNo=5 fd=5

MPG files are already compressed, so you cannot expect any
significant additional compression.

> He writes abut 40GB And get the tape full. But with HW compression it
> must writes 100GB!

Read the small print of your drive's product description, not just
the marketing slogans. You'll find that the 100 GB are subject to
an assumed compression rate which the vendor doesn't promise to
actually achieve in real life.

> PS: I Have a DLT tape drive with the same problem! Please help me!

Of course. That's the way hardware compression works.
It's not a problem, but a fact of life.

Lesson: always rely on uncompressed capacity only.

HTH

--
Tilman Schmidt
Phoenix Software GmbH