Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tape size problem.

2009-07-13 15:58:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tape size problem.
From: Mike Ruskai <thannyd AT earthlink DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 15:23:17 -0400
On 07/13/2009 14:41, sieber wrote:
> I tryied with defcompression and compression...
>
> With estimate command I got:
> *estimate
> The defined Job resources are:
>       1: BackupCatalog
>       2: RestoreFiles
>       3: bkp
>       4: RestoreBkp
> Select Job resource (1-4): 3
> Using Catalog "MyCatalog"
> Connecting to Client cli01 at 192.168.2.2:9102
> 2000 OK estimate files=263224 bytes=96,554,302,366
>
> So, the total size in estimate fits in the tape with HW comp. enabled.

No, the total size is below the maximum compressed capacity of the
tape.  Hardware compression isn't magical.  It's not even nearly as good
as software compression, which itself cannot compress incompressible
data.  The only benefit to hardware compression is that the device does
it without overhead (if the device is any good, anyway).

Your tape capacity is 40GB, with up to 260% compression in hardware.  If
your data set includes a bunch of JPEGs, MPEGs, or archive files, you're
only going to get 40GB of data on that tape.  If there are a lot of text
files and sparse binary files, you might get close to 104GB on the
tape.  Since you're getting 46GB, it would seem most of your data is
pretty incompressible.