Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Job vs volume retention periods

2009-06-24 21:09:34
Subject: [Bacula-users] Job vs volume retention periods
From: phatrik <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 20:27:53 -0400

Dirk Bartley wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 09:14 +0200, Fahrer, Julian wrote:
>
> > Hi Erik,
> >
> > volumes will only be reused after the volume retention period is reached.
> > And the point of keeping a volume which doesn't contain jobIDs is that you
> > could import the tape or recover data from it using btape since it still
> > contains all files.
> >

> Greetings
>
> Julian is correct with exceptions.
>
> Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
> Recycle Current Volume = yes
> PurgeOldestVolume = yes
>
> Warning, the following description may not be perfect:
>
> I use recycle oldest and purge oldest.  This way, the job records can be
> maintained in the catalog with an unresonably long job retention period.
> When the director completes jobs, it will still perform pruning
> operations pruning file records.
>
> Then when the director goes to schedule a job, it will purge job records
> from the volume and label it recycled if all jobs have had their file
> records pruned.  The volume chosen to recyle will be the one that has
> not been written to for the longest period.
>
> The status dir will show the recycled volume as the volume scheduled to
> use.
>
> For instance, I have a pool with two tapes for Tuesday and Thursday.  I
> want to use it four times then have it schedule using the othe tape
> rotating every two weeks.
>
> Pool {
> Name = LTO_TueThu
> Pool Type = Backup
> Recycle = yes
> AutoPrune = yes
> Volume Retention = 16 Days
> Volume Use Duration = 10 Days
> Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
> PurgeOldestVolume = yes
> Storage = LTO
> }
>

> Set it up recently and it seems to work so far.  Best of luck.  The
> documentation is awesome because there are so many possible parameters.
> The one thing that may be missing is more recipes from current users.
>
> Dirk
>

> > Kind regards
> >
> > Julian

Hi,

Thanks for the help provided so far, it's very much appreciated.   I do have a
few follow-up questions:

In a case where the client's storage pool would of reached it's maximum volume
limit (I use this combined with maximum volume bytes to control the size of
their allocated storage pools) and recycle oldest volume would be equal to
yes... If all the jobs have already passed their retention period, bacula would
recycle the oldest volume regardless of the volume retention period, is this
correct (on what date is this based btw, the date of the last written job?)
And that, as long as the volume wasn't recycled/overwritten, there's always
possibility to use bscan, re-write the catalogue and restore file-by-file?  In
a case where the file records have expired but not the job records, can I
simply decide to restore an entire jobid instead of using bscan?  How about
when a volume is purged?  My understanding is, files can still be recovered,
however in this case I'm presuming using bscan isn't optional?

I think this should be the last of my question :)

Thanks in advance,

Erik