Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] The tipically error: Cannot find any appendable volumes.

2009-06-22 12:40:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] The tipically error: Cannot find any appendable volumes.
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
To: rperezm AT uci DOT cu
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:34:37 +0200
Reynier Pérez Mira wrote:
> Bruno Friedmann wrote:
>> There's a job def, a pool def, a storage def for each time sequence,
>> eventually a different fileset
>>
>> #
>> # DAY DATA
>> Job {
>>   Name = "Data-DayJob"                  # Nom du job
>>   JobDefs = "DefBackupJob"              # Base du job
>>   Client = "yoda-fd"                    # nom du client défini plus haut
>>   Type = Backup                         # Type
>>   FileSet = "FileSet_DATA_Full"         # Correspond au FileSet
>> défini plus bas
>>   Schedule = "Schedule_G_Day"           # L'ordonnancement normal
>>   Storage = Store_DATA_FSDAY            # Doit correspondre à ce qui
>> est défini dans bacula-sd.conf
>>   Messages = Standard                   # Mode de communication des
>> messages, défini dans "   "
>>   Pool = Pool_DATA_DAY                  # Lieu de rassemblement des
>> médias
>>   Write Bootstrap = "/var/lib/bacula/data_DayJob.bsr"      # Tape
>> Bootstrap
>>   Priority = 10                         # Niveau de priorité
>>   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 5           # Nombre de jobs
>>   Max Wait Time = 9 hours               # Temps d'attente maximum
>> }
>>
>> # DATA File Daily pool definition
>> Pool {
>>   Name = Pool_DATA_DAY
>>   Pool Type = Backup
>>   Recycle = yes                         # Bacula can automatically
>> recycle Volumes
>>   Recycle Current Volume = yes
>>   AutoPrune = yes                       # Prune expired volumes
>>   Volume Retention = 13 days 12 hours   # Expires automatically after
>> pay attention that volume really expire after that.
>>   LabelFormat = "DDATA-"                # AutoLabel media inside the
>> pool ${WeekDay:p/2/0/r}(day 0 to 6 0=Sunday)
>>   Maximum Volumes = 14                  # 1 by day for 2 weeks
>>   Maximum Volume Jobs = 1               # 1 job by volume
>> }
>>
>> # Def file storage device DAY
>> Storage {
>>   Name = Store_DATA_FSDAY
>>   Address = bacula-sd.local
>>   SDPort = 9103
>>   Password = "this is secret"
>>   Device = SDev_DATA_FSMONTH
>>   Media Type = FSMONTH_DATA
>>   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 5
>> }
>>

> Ok, good explanation but let me see if I understood well. You have 14
> maximum volumes because your Jobs keep running for 2 weeks? Then if my
> Job is running for one year the configuration could be like this:
>
> Pool {
>    Maximum Volumes = 12                  # 1 by month for 12 months
>    Maximum Volume Jobs = 31              # 31 job by volume (31 for 1
> month)
>  }
>
> My understanding is correct or I'm wrong again?
> Regards

In fact, I was pretty sure you will ask for week/day number of volumes.

With 14 days volumes, I can always restore the full two weeks with each
corresponding incremental.
2 fulls + 12 incremental. Why ? Because if you kill one full, you would never
be able to use the 6 incremental corresponding.

In your case, it seems good, even if i prefer to have one volume for one job.
The problem you will have is when a month doesn't have 31 days (there's quiet a
lot)

If you prefer to organize like this, you will have to build 12 pools named
january with 31 vol, feb with 29 vol, march with 31
etc + make schedule pointing to appropriate pool ...  So you would obtain a
human vision of backup that bacula also understand.

But If I'm remembering you have a lot's of client, so it would increase the
number of pool.
Really it depend of the backup administrator vision, or the organisation
structure.