Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Error on internal filesystem

2009-06-08 09:32:13
Subject: [Bacula-users] Error on internal filesystem
From: Jonathan Bayer <jbayer AT regiscope DOT com>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 09:28:11 -0400
My Bacula 3.01 system (installed on Ubuntu 9.04) is doing File backups
to an internal, terabyte volume.  Bacula is using PostgreSql as a
database backend.

The system is an Ubuntu 9.04 desktop system, with a terabyte internal
volume for the backups, and an external terabyte volume for VirtualFull
backups

Bacula was downloaded and compiled from bacula.org

The system is set up to do a VirtualFull backup to an external USB
terabyte disk drive, using the NextPool parameter in the pool.  Both
filesystems are formatted as ReiserFS.

The storage subsystem has two devices set up, both are set for "Media
Type = File", but each is set for a different archive device.

I have two issues here:

First, for some reason, after a while, it decides that the VirtualFull
backup fails.    Other than the following section in the log file, there
is no other information given.

The second problem is that  even though the error occurred on the
External pool, using the ExternalFileStorage, on volume "D1", the volume
which is marked in error is the volume on the Internal pool, volume
"Internal"

In the bacula-sd.conf, the Maximum Concurrent Jobs is set to 1.
In bacula-dir.conf, the director has Maximum Concurrent Jobs set to 1,
both for the director and for the two storage devices.
In bacula-fd.conf,

There are two significant problems here.  First, is that an error is
being reported on a filesystem which is brand new, completely tested,
and no errors are shown in the system log.

The second, and more serious, is that the wrong volume is being marked
as being in error.  This totally negates the value of a backup, since a
perfectly good backup is marked as being in error.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I've attached (sanitized)
copies of the bacula-dir.conf and bacula-sd.conf (hopefully they will
come through). If the attachments don't come through, let me know and
I'll email them to whoever is interested.

JBB

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Log output vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

05-Jun 17:21 bayer-dir JobId 149: Start Virtual Backup JobId 149,
Job=ImageBuilder.2009-06-05_16.13.22_14
05-Jun 17:21 bayer-dir JobId 149: Fatal error: No previous Jobs found.
05-Jun 17:21 bayer-dir JobId 149: Error: Bacula bayer-dir 3.0.1
(30Apr09): 05-Jun-2009 17:21:07
  Build OS:               x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu ubuntu 9.04
  JobId:                  149
  Job:                    ImageBuilder.2009-06-05_16.13.22_14
  Backup Level:           Virtual Full
  Client:                 "imagebuilder-fd" 3.0.1 (30Apr09)
i686-pc-linux-gnu,ubuntu,7.10
  FileSet:                "ImageBuilder Full Set" 2009-06-04 10:37:15
  Pool:                   "External" (From Job Pool's NextPool resource)
  Catalog:                "MyCatalog" (From Client resource)
  Storage:                "ExternalFileStorage" (From Storage from
Pool's NextPool resource)
  Scheduled time:         05-Jun-2009 16:13:19
  Start time:             05-Jun-2009 17:21:07
  End time:               05-Jun-2009 17:21:07
  Elapsed time:           0 secs
  SD Files Written:       0
  SD Bytes Written:       0 (0 B)
  Rate:                   0.0 KB/s
  Volume name(s):
  Volume Session Id:      0
  Volume Session Time:    0
  Last Volume Bytes:      0 (0 B)
  SD Errors:              0
  SD termination status:
  Termination:            *** Backup Error ***

^^^^^^^^^ end log output ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

vvvvvvvvvvvvvv Media listing vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Pool: Internal
+---------+------------+-----------+---------+-----------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+-----------+-----------+---------------------+
| mediaid | volumename | volstatus | enabled | volbytes        |
volfiles | volretention | recycle | slot | inchanger | mediatype |
lastwritten         |
+---------+------------+-----------+---------+-----------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+-----------+-----------+---------------------+
|       1 | Internal   | Error     |       1 | 714,354,391,772 |
166 |   31,536,000 |       1 |    0 |         0 | File      | 2009-06-05
04:10:49 |
+---------+------------+-----------+---------+-----------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+-----------+-----------+---------------------+
Pool: External
| mediaid | volumename | volstatus | enabled | volbytes        |
volfiles | volretention | recycle | slot | inchanger | mediatype |
lastwritten         |
|       5 | D1         | Append    |       1 | 272,625,134,040 |
63 |   31,536,000 |       1 |    0 |         0 | File      | 2009-06-05
18:33:31 |

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ end media listing