Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows restore on different drive

2009-06-08 04:10:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows restore on different drive
From: Foo <bfoo33 AT yahoo.co DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 10:06:43 +0200
On Wed, 27 May 2009 02:24:00 +0200, James Harper
<james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au> wrote:

>> I still haven't found a way to tell bacula to restore on a partition
>> different
>> than C: on windows fd.
>> Most of my customers have a smaller C: containing the system, and a
>> second
>> drive to hold big data, so this becomes a trouble when I have to
>> restore a big
>> amount of data.
>> How should I write the "where" during restore to let it restore on
>> D:\tmp\bacula-restore?
>
> Can't you just set the 'where' to 'D:\tmp\bacula-restore' when you do
> the restore?

The 'where' functionality of restore is somewhat broken, because it simply
prepends the original path instead of (partially) replacing it.

- if you change 'where' to '/' (or have this as the default), the restore
will overwrite the original.

- if you don't have '/' as default and don't change 'where',
'c:/foo/bar.txt' from a Windows client may end up restored in a location
like 'C:\mnt\nas\bacula\restores\c\foo\bar.txt'. To work around this you
need separate restore stanzas for each client.

- the closest you can get to restoring in an another location is if you
change 'where' to e.g. '/tmp' or 'd:/', in which case your '/foo/bar.txt'
or 'c:/foo/bar.txt' backups will end up as '/tmp/foo/bar.txt' or
'D:\c\foo\bar.txt' restores, respectively. Bacula will under no
circumstance replace the original path, so even 'd:/foo/bar.txt' will end
up as 'D:\d\foo\bar.txt'.