Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] incremental backups of restored data

2009-06-02 15:21:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] incremental backups of restored data
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 20:15:47 +0100

> Hello.
>
> Currently I see this behavior in Bacula 3.0.0 (on FreeBSD):
>
> I backup a directory (having 6 files), then remove the original directory and
> restore it from backup. When I run an incremental backup of the same
> directory
> then, all the files are getting backed up again, although they should be
> exactly the same as they were before removing/restoring. Is there any
> parameter of files that is not restored and that causes them to be backed up
> again?
>
> Is this behavior inevitable with Bacula?

Unfortunately, restoring a file will set its ctime to the current time and
there is not much you can do about that.

By default, Bacula uses the ctime and mtime to detect changes for incremental
backups.  You could set the mtimeonly=yes fileset option, but that would cause
you to lose incremental backups of files where the permissions have been
changed or someone has manipulated the mtime to be in the past.

__Martin