Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Era of virtual machines (block level differentials and incrementals)?

2009-06-02 03:56:41
Subject: [Bacula-users] Era of virtual machines (block level differentials and incrementals)?
From: Hydro Meteor <hydrometeor AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 21:53:03 -1000
Hello all --

As the world continues to ramp up into the use of virtual machine systems more and more, its becoming quite an interesting world to live in with regard to storage systems and backups of these virtual machine files. The main virtual machine systems such as those by VMWare (I.e., VMWare Fusion that runs on Mac OS X which is similar if I'm not mistaken to VMWare Workstation) offer useful options such as snapshots and rollbacks.

One of the consequences of having a lot of virtual machine snapshots around on a file system is that its easy for these virtual machine image files on the host OS's filesystem to become quite large relatively speaking (it would be easy to have multiple virtual machines for example whose file sizes on the host OS's filesystem are well into the multiple Gigabytes). I have noticed that if one merely boots up a virtual machine, its (relatively large) image file will change (even if the actual changes within the virtual machine were scant).

Given this context and Bacula, from a file system standpoint, backing up differentials or incrementals of these large image files on a regular basis could easily start to become problematic, perhaps not so much with respect to Bacula Volumes (whether tape, optical disc, hard drive, etc. because one might argue that storage is cheap and Kryder's Law [1] marches on), but much more so is the issue of network bandwidth (where distributed backups are leveraged, which is one of Bacula's greatest strengths) -- moving gigabyte-scale files can be a problem. Even Amazon, which sells their S3 storage service, has recently offered a beta of their new AWS Import/Export service ("ship us that disk!"):

http://aws.amazon.com/importexport/

http://aws.typepad.com/aws/2009/05/send-us-that-data.html

AWS Import/Export: Ship Us That Disk!

Since station wagons and tapes are both on the verge of obsolescence, others have updated this nugget of wisdom to reference DVDs and Boeing 747s.
Hard drives are getting bigger more rapidly than internet connections are getting faster. It is now relatively easy to create a collection of data so large that it cannot be uploaded to offsite storage (e.g. Amazon S3) in a reasonable amount of time. Media files, corporate backups, data collected from scientific experiments, and potential AWS Public Data Sets are now at this point. Our customers in the scientific space routinely create terabyte data sets from individual experiments.

This brings me to a question which is, what about a future version of Bacula that would be able to perform block level backups of differentials and incrementals? That way, if say a 4 GB file (representing a virtual machine for example) had only a small number of disk level blocks that changed, only those blocks would need to be backed up relative to an initial Full backup? I imagine one argument might be to just install Bacula on every virtual machine ever created, but that's not practical. Seeing that Amazon is trying to solve the problem of backups and bandwidth, it strikes me as if Bacula could help to scratch this itch as well?

Cheers,

-hydro

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Kryder