Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] files pruned immediately after backup

2009-05-29 13:42:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] files pruned immediately after backup
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 18:38:21 +0100

> I'm attempting to configure a semi-permanent full monthly backup, in
> addition to a weekly full backup with 4 daily incrementals.
>
> When last month's backup completed, it seems to have immediately
> pruned the files from the catalog:
>
> | Termination:            Backup OK
>
> | 03-May 22:37 ariel-dir JobId 156: Begin pruning Jobs.
> | 03-May 22:37 ariel-dir JobId 156: No Jobs found to prune.
> | 03-May 22:37 ariel-dir JobId 156: Begin pruning Files.
> | 03-May 22:37 ariel-dir JobId 156: Pruned Files from 3 Jobs for client
> ariel-fd from catalog.
> | 03-May 22:37 ariel-dir JobId 156: End auto prune.
>
> I'm not sure why, since the month pool has "AutoPrune = no" (2 new
> tapes were added to the pool), the job doesn't have "prune=yes", and
> the client has "File Retention = 30 days".  The relevant pool has
> "Volume Retention = 15y".
>
> Any help is much appreciated.  A pruned director config is attached.

The pruning you see here is caused by "AutoPrune = yes" in the client
definition:

> Client {
>   Name = ariel-fd
>   Address = localhost
>   FDPort = 9102
>   Catalog = Catalog
>   Password =
>   File Retention = 30 days
>   Job Retention = 6 months
>   AutoPrune = yes
> }

Unfortunately, this prunes all jobs that run on that client, so you lose the
files from the monthly job after 30 days too.  AFAIK, there is no way to
automatically prune the files for a specific tuple (job,client).

The "AutoPrune = no" directive in your pool prevents pruning of volumes, not
of jobs or files.

The purpose of file/job pruning is to reduce the size of the catalog, whereas
volume pruning is part of recycling.

If you need to keep the file info for longer, you could try setting "File
Retention = 6 months" in the client.  The weekly/daily volumes will still be
recycled correctly based on their volume retention.

__Martin