Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Your Bacula Post http://www.mail-archive.com/bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net/msg29006.html

2009-05-29 10:36:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Your Bacula Post http://www.mail-archive.com/bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net/msg29006.html
From: Frank Sweetser <fs AT WPI DOT EDU>
To: "Kemp, Larry" <Larry.Kemp AT usmetrotel DOT com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 09:53:41 -0400
Hi Larry,

  I'm CC'ing this email to the bacula users list, as in general you'll get a
much better response asking the list as a whole than one random person off of
the list such as myself.

Kemp, Larry wrote:
> Frank,
>
> I was reading here
> (http://www.mail-archive.com/bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
> net/msg29006.html)
> on this mail-list that you were part of in early 2008, and wondered if
> anyone ever solved this issue with Kern Sibbald’s software Bacula. I
> have compiled Bacula v3.0.1 on Cent OS 5.3. The Storage and File daemon
> as running but the Director wont start. I get the “bconsole cannot
> communicate with director…check password” message. I have checked my
> /etc/bacula/bconsole.conf and /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf and the
> passwords are the same. I have also tried “service bacula start” which
> shows that everything is starting, but “service bacula status” reports
> for the director that the pid exists but that there is a file locked. I
> have checked /tmp and see no locks.

That email post you mention was about problems with the console connecting to
the director, whereas you're having problems starting the director, so none of
my suggestions would really help.  I'd suggest you try starting the director
on its own by hand, and see if it produces any error messages that point you
in the right direction.

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken