Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 2.4.4 not reusing tapes as expected

2009-05-28 02:39:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 2.4.4 not reusing tapes as expected
From: Troy Daniels <troy.daniels AT itouch.com DOT au>
To: Phil R <bacula-users AT growlybear DOT org>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 14:08:13 +0800
Hi,

Phil R wrote:
> Hope this is the right place to ask this - if not, sorry.
>
> Using 2.4.4, automatic recycling doesn't allow tapes to be reused.
>
> I've discovered that if I set the tape status to "recycle" then when the
> next scheduled job runs it recycles the volume - all data lost (good)
> then announces that the max use duration is (already!) exeeded, and
> marks the tape as "used"

Just to clarify what you are doing...

You're changing the status manually? Going straight from a Used state to
a Recycle state?

You don't mention purging the volume at all and I believe this might be
the critical step you are missing. Use the 'prune' or 'purge' commands
in bconsole to do this. (Backup your catalog first, just in case of course)

It's also important as it ensures the old file/job records for this
volume are removed from the catalog - without this step your catalog
would be full of records to files/jobs that are no longer on the volume.

Cheers,

Troy.

> 27-May 00:03 machine-dir JobId 191: Start Backup JobId 191,
> Job=testbackup.2009-05-27_00.03.31.06
>
> 27-May 00:03 machine-dir JobId 191: Using Device "DDS-4"
>
> 27-May 00:04 machine-sd JobId 191: Recycled volume "Scratch_1" on device
> "DDS-4" (/dev/nst1), all previous data lost.
>
> 27-May 00:04 machine-dir JobId 191: Max configured use duration
> exceeded. Marking Volume "Scratch_1" as Used.
>

> ...but continues to complete the job. Then the next night, the tape's
> marked as "used" and the backup fails.
> The "lastWritten" shows the last written time correctly; LabelDate shows
> the time the volume was recycled; but firstwritten shows the time & date
> the tape was first used. Not sure if that's how it's meant to be, but in
> order to use my tapes I have to set UseDuration to be more than the time
> since firstwritten and now.
>
> So if I want to use this tape until Friday, for example, I have to set
> UseDuration to be 54 days. Then when I come to reuse the tape in 4
> weeks' time, I'll need to manually change the UseDuration to be 72 days
> (54+28)
>
> Shouldn't recycling reset the firstwritten time? Or should it calculate
> UseDuration from something else? Am I expecting something too much?

Troy Daniels                      iTouch Australia, a Buongiorno company
System Administrator              Ph  +618 6461 4102
troy.daniels AT itouch.com DOT au        Fax +618 6461 4199
                                   www.itouch.com.au