Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] automating windows client installs

2009-05-27 18:01:47
Subject: [Bacula-users] automating windows client installs
From: "Jayson Broughton" <jbroughton AT truecos DOT com>
To: <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 15:55:47 -0600

So I have looked through the list archives on automating windows installs, and the only one I found was written back in 2006 with NSIS.  I have spent the good portion of 2 days going through the bacula source with NSIS compiler, and after close to 3000 lines of code in at least 3 files, Im baffled.  Surely there is an easier way to automate installs than to create an NSIS file from scratch.

I have also tried bacula-3.0.1.exe /Silent   For a silent install, and it does work, but the config files are @computer_name@ instead of the actual computer name displayed during a manual install of the software.  Besides having to write a WMI script to grab the computer name, and a SED script to modify the config file after a /Silent install, what are my options?

Here’s what we have:

150+ clients nationwide all running windows XP, clients are connected via VPN.  The goal from the Windows Admins was for me to compile a bacula-client.MSI file so that it could be pushed out via group-policy from the AD server.  Creating an MSI isn’t too difficult, but the config files wouldn’t be modified properly.

Now I was able to physically modify the config file for the director name, address and password, and it did a silent install with that information, just not with the client’s information.

Doing a custom install for just a client install (manually) actually plugs in the clientname-fd by default, which is really nice.

Any options?  I’m thinking that it might just be easier to remote to each of the 150 machines and manually install the windows client.  But would love to get some feedback from other people that have pushed out 100+ client installs.

~Jayson

Jayson Broughton

Linux Systems Administrator

True Oil LLC

jbroughton AT truecos DOT com

The information in this electronic mail message and any attached files is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, delete this message and contact the sender immediately. Access to this message by anyone other than its intended recipient is unauthorized. You must not use or disseminate this information as it is proprietary property of the True companies. Communications on or through the True companies' computer systems may be monitored or recorded to secure effective system operation and for other lawful purposes. Thank you.