Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: eSATA drive for storage

2009-05-18 16:43:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: eSATA drive for storage
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 13:40:09 -0700
John Drescher wrote:
> [...]
Stay away from eSata brackets. They should only be used as a last resort.

The problem is that they are a break in the cable. At the extremely high
data rates for eSata, this causes signal reflection and data errors. If
you do have to use an eSata bracket, you may need to reconfigure that
SATA port to only use 1.5 GB; I hear that with that setting it is
usually reliable.

But what you really want is to have a single uninterrupted cable going
directly from the port to the hard disk.

Fortunately, you can buy eSATA PCI cards for around $30 nowadays. One
pitfall: make sure that it actually says "eSATA". Many manufacturers are
cutting corners and put a cheaper internal SATA connector on the
external bracket. That's actually illegal (can get you in trouble with
the FCC for radio interference).

Worse - at first glance, the two connectors look the same, but they
actually have different shapes (SATA is L-shaped, eSATA is I shaped). So
if you have trouble plugging it in, you probably have the wrong connector.

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.