Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Concurrent Jobs

2009-05-14 13:37:44
Subject: [Bacula-users] Concurrent Jobs
From: "Jayson Broughton" <jbroughton AT truecos DOT com>
To: <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 11:32:32 -0600

I know this question has beened asked a million times on this list (And yes, I went through the nabble’s bacula-users archives over 2 days) but I think my situation is slightly alittle more unique.  So if anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it!

Here’s the background:

We have 150+ clients scattered throughout 3 buildings, but all attached to the main network line (1 main office, 2 offices are connected through ptp wifi).  Because we support 5 separate ‘companies’ that are owned by one big company, my pools have been setup to reflect this.  We also have 20 off-site locations scattered through the US that are connected to the main director, and backing up to a storage device on their local network (All connected via VPN).

I have a pool for each department that’s also part of one of the 5 companies.  So it comes out to 9 separate pools.  Each pool is on a different schedule to be backed up in a 24 hour period.

Our storage device for the 150 clients is a 1TB snapserver (plenty of room for what we need backed up).  I have run tests the last 2 weeks using a single pool of 9 machines backing up to the main storage daemon.  And it works great.

What I’m curious about:

Can I have all 9 of the pools backing up to 1 storage device definition?  I would have the pools set for 1 backup per pool, but want at least 5 concurrent backups to the storage device itself.  Or do I need to have Device { } separate and pointing to a different directory for each of those 9 pools to backup simultaneously?  What would be the best practice for this?

Juicy Tidbits:

 Bacula-sd.conf

Storage {

  Name = momus-sd

  SDPort = 9103

  WorkingDirectory = "/var/bacula/working"

  Pid Directory = "/var/run"

  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20

}

Device {

  Name = IT1

  Archive Device = /media/backup/IT1

  Media Type = File3

  LabelMedia = yes

  Random Access = yes

  AutomaticMount = yes

  RemovableMedia = no

  AlwaysOpen = no

  Device Type = File

}

Directors configuration (bacula-dir.conf)

Director {

  Name = momus-dir

  Description = "Client Backup Server"

  DIRport = 9101

  QueryFile = "/etc/bacula/query.sql"

  WorkingDirectory = "/var/bacula/working"

  PidDirectory = "/var/run"

  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20

  FD Connect Timeout = 5 Minutes

  SD Connect Timeout = 30 Minutes

  Statistics Retention = 5 Years

  Password = "#########"

  Messages = Daemon

}

Storage {

  Name = IT1

  Address = 10.0.124.43

  SDPort = 9103

  Password = "mkyt87e2"

  Device = IT1

  Media Type = File3

  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 4

}

Pool {

  Name = "IT-Client"

  Maximum Volumes = 0

  Pool Type = Backup

  Storage = IT1

  Maximum Volume Jobs = 1

  Maximum Volume Files = 0

  Maximum Volume Bytes = 2147483648

  Volume Use Duration = 14 days

  Catalog Files = yes

  Auto Prune = yes

  Volume Retention = 14 days

  Recycle = yes

  Recycle Oldest Volume = yes

  Recycle Current Volume = no

  Purge Oldest Volume = yes

  Label Format = ""${Client}-${Level}-${Year}_${Month}_${Day}-${Hour}-"

}

JobDefs {

  Name = ITClientJob

  Enabled = yes

  Type = Backup

  Messages = Standard

  Pool = IT-Client

  Schedule = "IT-Client Backup"

  Storage = IT1

  Prefer Mounted Volumes = No

  Prune Jobs = no

  Rerun Failed Levels = yes

  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 4

  Reschedule On Error = yes

  Reschedule Interval = 30 minutes

  Reschedule Times = 6

  Priority = 10

}

Thanks for your time!

~Jayson

The information in this electronic mail message and any attached files is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, delete this message and contact the sender immediately. Access to this message by anyone other than its intended recipient is unauthorized. You must not use or disseminate this information as it is proprietary property of the True companies. Communications on or through the True companies' computer systems may be monitored or recorded to secure effective system operation and for other lawful purposes. Thank you.