Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Encryption Options

2009-05-12 14:23:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Encryption Options
From: Steve Polyack <korvus AT comcast DOT net>
To: Andrey Dmitriev <admitriev AT mentora DOT biz>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 14:02:29 -0400
Andrey Dmitriev wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> 1)
> It was shared with me that bacula encrypts 'per client' not 'per job'.
> We first backup data to disk, and then to tape. We don't really need to
> encrypt to disk, but would like to do so to tape, is there a workaround?
> 2) do any HW crypto acceleratoin PCI cards work with Bacula, and can
> anyone share their experience using them.
> 3) anyone using any appliances sitting in between the server and the
> tape drive to do encryption, or can point to some solutions?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrey

1. This is not an existing feature, but one which has been requested:
"Storage Daemon Encryption". AFAIK the Bacula project is in a voting
phase to determine which features the team should focus on.  This should
be the link to the survey:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=kkjFYxNdgB2fAEntWBWhuw_3d_3d

2.  No, Bacula does not invoke any OpenSSL engine selection, nor do I
believe that it reads the openssl.cnf which could suggest it to do so.
My experience with forcing it to use the *BSD cryptodev engine has been
mixed.

3.  I haven't used anything like this, and I imagine it would be
difficult as the SCSI commands would have to be in plaintext while data
would have to be encrypted.  Some vendors produce tape drives with
encryption built-in.

-Steve