Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] change default tape blocksize

2009-05-12 10:55:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] change default tape blocksize
From: Alex Chekholko <chekh AT pcbi.upenn DOT edu>
To: Ulrich Leodolter <ulrich.leodolter AT obvsg DOT at>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 10:49:30 -0400
On Tue, 12 May 2009 08:02:30 +0000
Ulrich Leodolter <ulrich.leodolter AT obvsg DOT at> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've configured bacula without block size settings,
> so the default of 63k (126 * 512) are used.
>
> Now i like to change the default block size to 128k.
> Hardware is 2 drive LTO-4 auto changer.
>
> Device {
>   Name = Drive-1
>   Drive Index = 0
>   Media Type = LTO-4
>   Archive Device = /dev/nst0
>   AutomaticMount = yes
>   AlwaysOpen = yes
>   RemovableMedia = yes
>   RandomAccess = no
>   Autochanger = yes
>   Minimum block size = 63K
>   Maximum block size = 128K
> }
>
> Anyone tried this?
>
> I am concerned about old tapes having 63K block size,
> are they still readable/usable by bacula?

I have
  Maximum Network Buffer Size = 262144 #65536
  Maximum block size = 262144
in each of my Device sections

Works fine and improved performance significantly.

The way I interpreted the Bacula documentation, you'd need to change
the block size back if you want to read the older backups.  So maybe
you want to make a note which tapes use which block size.  But maybe
(hopefully) I'm wrong and Bacula keeps track of it somewhere.

In my case, I re-ran all full backups after changing block size, and
luckily did not need to refer to any older backups since.

Regards,
--
Alex Chekholko <chekh AT pcbi.upenn DOT edu>