Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Windows 3.0.1 and DLT-V4 DLTtape VS 160-320 GB - compression problem

2009-05-12 05:00:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Windows 3.0.1 and DLT-V4 DLTtape VS 160-320 GB - compression problem
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: tddotnet38 AT yahoo DOT fr, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 04:56:46 -0400
> I have installed Bacula Win 3.0.1 under Windows XP without problems.
>
> When i make a folder backup (size 190 Go on my hard disk), Bacula ask for a
> second tape (tape one is full with 190,806,491,136 VolBytes).
>
> DltSage utility report : compression is on and 335 Gb are used.
>
> I have tried with "Minimum Block Size = 32768 Maximum Block Size = 32768",
> the problem is the same.
>
> My DLT-V4 has the latest firmware (v10) and the latests windows drivers
> (4.3.33).
>
> Can someone help me ?

That looks perfectly fine to me. I mean 190 GB is greater 160GB. You
do realize that compression depends on the files you back up and if
some of them are already compressed (.zip, .jpg ...) you will not get
close to the often highly optimistic compression rate that
manufacturers state. I expect 1.5:1 on average for drives that state
2:1.

John