Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula-users Digest, Vol 36, Issue 42

2009-04-30 22:35:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula-users Digest, Vol 36, Issue 42
From: Bernd Plagge <bplagge AT choicenet.ne DOT jp>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 11:24:46 +0900

Hi Kevin,

please see below.

Regards,
Bernd

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:57:20 +0000
bacula-users-request AT lists.sourceforge DOT net wrote:

> Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Large scale disk
>       based   backups
> Cc: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
>
> You are right to some extent. And I very much like your idea of using
> the file "bkdisk", that is pure genius. I'll go ahead and implement that
> in my backup system! Incidentally, you don't actually need a file. As
> long as you know the label of the disk, you could also look for the
> label using findfs LABEL=bkdisk. With that scheme, you could even forego
> autofs and always keep the backup disks unmounted.
>
> It was kind of my point, though: bacula doesn't do it out of the box,
> you have to implement a script or the like. That in turn also means that
> your manual implementation isn't going to play well with the backup
> schedule, unless you - manually - coordinate the schedule and the manual
> script. And because the script is actually not associated with the
> storage device where it logically belongs, but with the job, you have
> the maintenance issue of remembering to add it to each job. And you also
> don't get reminder emails to change the disks the day BEFORE a full
> backup (because there is no mechanism to know that a full backup is
> coming up).

I you had to synchroize different jobs manually then this would be indeed a
kludge.
But this is not the case.
In bacual-dir.conf you can define:

#
# Define the main nightly save backup job
#   By default, this job will back up to disk in C:/tmp
Job {
  Name = "ABCD"
  JobDefs = "DailyBackup"
  Max Start Delay = 22h
  ClientRunBeforeJob="script_to_mount_drive.sh"
  ClientRunAfterJob="script_to_unmount_drive.sh"
}

And all your worries are gone.

Tapes sound easier but they aren't. With tapes it becomes complicated once you
need the autochanger because the amount of data to backup doesn't fit on one
tape.

> With bacula's tape support, you don't have to worry about these kinds of
> issues.
>
> None of these are huge things, and in the end the scripting etc. works
> very well. But they are the reason I called bacula's backup-to-disk
> support "kludgy".

- - --
Bernd Plagge - プラゲ ベェアント
First Choice Internet Ltd., Tokyo - ファースト・チョイス・インターネット(有)