Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] 3.0 upgrade success

2009-04-23 07:22:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] 3.0 upgrade success
From: Simon Ekstrand <simon AT theoak DOT se>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, Ulrich Leodolter <ulrich.leodolter AT obvsg DOT at>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 13:10:27 +0200
2009/4/23 Ulrich Leodolter <ulrich.leodolter AT obvsg DOT at>:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 09:54 +0200, Simon Ekstrand wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I thought I'd just put in a note that we have just done a successful
>> upgrade to bacula 3.0 for a bacula system running 7 storage daemons
>> with a total of ~70 TB data (all disk based, no tapes). Everything is
>> running smoothly so far.
>> The catalog in use is a mysql db totaling approximatly 110 GB. We did
>
> Our catalog is about 18G,  nice to hear that it works > 100GB.
> Are u running catalog backups?  how long runs mysqldump bacula?
> Would be nice if you can share your hardware config
> (machines, cpu, mem, disk)

The catalog server currently runs dual quad core 3ghz intel xeons, 8gb
ram, 15krmp sas disks etc.
We don't currently do any mysqldumps of the catalog db due to the
horrible amounts of time required for a mysqldump of a db of this
size. As a half-measure we instead do replication of the db to a
second server so that we have a copy of the data in case of a hardware
crash.

I'd say that the catalog is probably our biggest problem with bacula
currently. We backup a quite a few servers, many of them containing
millions of files, so our catalog is large and constantly growing.
Doing restores of jobs with > 1,000,000 files with a catalog of this
size can be frustrating at times (building the filelist specifically).
Also, the catalog inserts when jobs with > ~5,000,000 files complete
can be very long - literally hours in bad cases. This is iffy for a
couple of reasons, one is that no other jobs can complete during that
time as the catalog db tables are locked, and also that the waiting
jobs will fail without a sufficiently high innodb_lock_wait_timeout
set in mysql. Ours is currently set to 2 hours which seems to cover
our cases fairly well.

That said, it's certainly workable, the db pain is generally not to
bad. I've been considering trying out postgres for the catalog to see
how it handles our current load, but that's a bit of a project in
itself.

--
Simon Ekstrand