Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] WriteCount

2009-04-22 07:38:08
Subject: [Bacula-users] WriteCount
From: kshatriyak AT gmail DOT com
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 13:32:16 +0200
Hello !

Since we just bought new tapes, I want to do it the right way now: i want
to know when I started using each tape, and how many times a tape was
written.

I know there is a field in bacula 'InitialWrite', but this isn't the
datetime a media is taken in use for the first time, it is exact the same
as FirstWritten (so it changes with every job). I talked with Kern about
this on the buglist but this field isn't ment like this.

So, as far as I know, there is no automated (or manual) way in Bacula to
determine how many times a volume as been written and since when volume
was taken first in use.

Does anybody addresses this feature with seperate scripts (for example
with an 'BeforeJob' or 'AfterJob') ? How do you people know or determine
when tapes are worn out?

Thnx!
K.