Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Set Pool For Job Using Python?

2009-04-21 18:37:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Set Pool For Job Using Python?
From: "Mordechai T. Abzug" <morty AT frakir DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 18:32:05 -0400
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:46:29PM -0500, Jeremy Parrish wrote:
> Here is my situation:
>
> We currently have 8 2TB USB HDDs. We want to do an 8-week rotation
> with these drives. Each drive will be on site for backup for 1 week
> and then in offsite storage for 7 weeks.
>
>  From my brief experience, it seems that having all backups go to one
> Pool will not work properly since the Volume bacula chooses to use/
> recycle may not be present on the drive that is currently in on site.

Works fine for me without doing a pool per USB HDD.  If bacula can't
find the old volume, it makes a new one with the same name, which
seems a little odd, but works OK.  Options I'm using in the SD device
config:

Device {
  Name = FileStorage
  Media Type = File
  Archive Device = /backups/bacula
  LabelMedia = yes;                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
  Random Access = Yes;
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  RemovableMedia = yes;
  AlwaysOpen = no;
}

One trick: I use /backups as the mountpoint, with the "bacula"
directory on each volume as the archive device.  So if there is some
problem and the USB device won't mount, bacula refuses to perform the
backup instead of writing to the root FS.

- Morty