Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] getting rid of the base64 encoded lstat field - table size testing

2009-04-15 00:03:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] getting rid of the base64 encoded lstat field - table size testing
From: Craig Ringer <craig AT postnewspapers.com DOT au>
To: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:58:08 +0800
Martin Simmons wrote:

> The schema you used for the native types would be useful to know too...

Oh, sorry, I thought I included it. Schema follows, but first:

I just tested COPY ... WITH BINARY in PostgreSQL as well.

Results:

                    Base64       Expanded        Diff      %
Dump size       1679111554     2323408248   644296694      38
Import time            211            274          63      30

So expanding the fields is a significant slowdown when using WITH
BINARY. As such, I guess it's not parsing the numbers that takes the
time. In fact, I no longer have any idea what might be slowing things
down. I almost wonder if it's just disk I/O reading the files - I'll
have to try this from a machine with gigabit where I can pop the files
on a different host.

Importing using COPY ... WITH BINARY isn't actually significantly faster
than importing from tab-separated text. In fact, the expanded case is
*SLOWER* from "with binary" than the text form. That seems REALLY
strange to me. I'm going to repeat the tests a few times and poke around
a bit, because I don't get it.

Anyway, the expanded schema:

CREATE TABLE file2 (
    fileid bigint,