Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] archiving a single one of several backups on a tape

2009-04-08 07:51:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] archiving a single one of several backups on a tape
From: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 13:44:41 +0200
On 07.04.2009 17:07, /me wrote:
> Now the need has arisen to retain one of these backups, of a
> specific server on a specific date, beyond its regular retention
> period.

> 1. How do I make sure that Bacula doesn't purge that backup?
>
> 2. Is there a way to copy that backup from the tape it resides on
> to some other medium (tape, disk, DVD) so that the tape can be
> re-used for its regular purpose?

I think I did it, though I don't know whether it's the best
way. (It does feel a bit awkward.) This is what I did:

- In my SD config, defined a new Device of Media Type = File.

- In my director config, defined a new Storage referring to that
  device, and a new Pool named "Archive" referring to that
  Storage, with the attributes

    Label Format = "Archive-${Client}-${Year}-${Month:p/2/0/r}-${Day:p/2/0/r}"
    Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
    AutoPrune = no
    Recycle = no

- Also in the director config, added the attribute

    Next Pool = Archive

  to the definition of the existing Pool "Weekly" containing
  the tape containing the backup I wanted to retain.

- In the client config file included by the director config,
  defined a new Job

    Job {
      Name = "theclient-mig"
      Client = theclient-fd
      FileSet = "theclient"
      Storage = LTO1
      Type = Migrate
      Pool = Weekly
      Selection Type = SQLQuery
      Selection Pattern = "SELECT Job.JobId FROM Job, Pool WHERE Job.Job LIKE
'theclient.2009-03-%' AND Job.PoolId = Pool.PoolId AND Pool.Name = 'Weekly'";
      Messages = Standard
    }

  crafting the SELECT pattern manually to select exactly the job
  I wanted to retain. (From reading the Bacula manual section on
  migration I hadn't expected the Client, FileSet, and Storage
  attributes to be necessary, but the director would commit
  suicide upon reload whenever I omitted one of them.)

- Ran the migration job so created from bconsole via

  * run job=theclient-mig yes

- Removed the Job definition again to avoid it being run
  inadvertently. (I left the other additions in place as I
  don't think they'll do any harm.)

The result looks fine to me. The only thing I'm a bit unsure
about is whether the "AutoPrune = no" and "Recycle = no"
settings on my "Archive" pool will be enough to ensure that
Bacula never purges that backup.

Any hints on streamlining that procedure welcome. It's quite
possible that I'll need it again. ;-)

Regards,
Tilman

--
Tilman Schmidt
Abteilungsleiter Technik

Besuchen Sie uns auf der "transport logistic 2009" !

Wir präsentieren professionelle Videokonferenzlösungen
auf dem Gemeinschaftsstand des Landes Nordrhein-Westfalen
in Halle B3 Stand 103/204.

12.-15.Mai 2009, Neue Messe München, www.transportlogistic.de